Bang Bao Pier & Snorkeling Coral Reefs


At the south end of Koh Chang island is, Bang Bao, a former fishing village which features a long pier. While the first half of the pier is lined with small shops and houses on stilts, it soon opens up to reveal a fleet of sightseeing day cruisers and several dive boats.






We stopped in the BB Dive shop on the pier, and booked a day trip out to several small islands within the National Park. After a 90 minute boat ride we arrived at the grouping of islands specifically reserved for diving/snorkeling groups. Since my only camera is my pixel phone and I was not willing to test its underwater capabilities, I can’t share any water shots. However, I will say that the view through my goggles was spectacular. A colorful coral reef alive with sea urchins, giant clams, little black and white striped damselfish, large colorful iridescent fish, and frightening crocodile needlefish.






Changdiving.com has a very good compendium of the fish and coral found in the waters around Koh Chang:

3 islands, 3 diving/snorkeling opportunities, and a great Thai lunch on board our dive boat made for a very memorable day.



Comments