Chefchaouen

Our last stop in Morocco is Chefchaouen, the Blue City.

This hillside city is really about one thing, the color blue. The various shades of blue and white walls create stunning ready-made backdrops for picture perfect snapshots, and as a result Chefchaouen has become a favorite destination for photographers and now, the Instagram selfie crowd.











It is common to see Moroccan men wearing the hooded robe, called a djellaba (jillaba). I first encountered this attire, when I was in Chefchaouen over twenty years ago. I was initially amused at the sight of these wizard-like robes, and on a lark purchased one. Cloaking the entire body, head to toe, in coarse wool, is incredibly warm, and I still wear my wool djellaba, especially during the cold winter days back in Connecticut. While I did get some funny looks shoveling snow in my driveway wearing a Djellaba, I would much rather look silly than be cold.




P.S. On Our final day in Morocco we traveled by bus to the port city of Tangier. From there we took a ferry across the Straits of Gibraltar to our next destination, Spain. But on our bus ride, I snapped a photo of this creative method of transportation. Just another ‘You don’t see that everyday’ moments.



Comments